Sunday 5 January 2014

Help me, I’m a man and I’m overweight


How can an ambassador for men’s health and well being be an unhealthy weight?

New Year frequently reminds me that one of the areas of my life I’m unhappy with is my own body and this year I’ve decided to “go public” to get help.

I bought a set of weighing scales yesterday and the verdict is I’m 14 stone 10 lbs (or 206 pounds or 94.5 kilo if you prefer---I don’t, fat is fat no matter how you measure it).

Why is this a problem?  

From a health perspective it’s obvious. According to the NHS healthy weight calculator, I am overweight (no shit, Sherlock)!

I have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 28.7 when 18.5 to 25 is considered healthy and 30 and over is obese---so I’m closer to being obese than being a healthy weight.

My excess weight puts me at an increased risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. I’ve never had an ambition to “live fast and die young” and right now the only fast living I do is eating too many biscuits too quickly. I don’t want to die young for the sake of chocolate digestive (or seven)!

As a champion for better health outcomes for men and boys I frequently say the reason more men die younger is that we put less time, money and energy into keeping men healthy. Well it’s time I put my money and energy where my mouth is and lose some weight (or maybe I should stop putting things where my mouth is altogether)!

DAY ONE NOTES:

WEIGHT: 14 stone 10lb (healthy range 9 stone 7lb to 12 stone 12lb)

WAIST: 37-39 inches/94-99 cms (depends if I'm breathing in or out) 

BMI: 28.7 (healthy range 18.5 to 25)

ACTION: Bought weighing scales, calculated BMI at NHS choices, downloaded NHS guide to weight loss (week 1). 



1 comment: