Sunday 5 January 2014

Why does the NHS think weight is a woman’s problem?


Men are more likely than women to be an unhealthy weight (and we’re also less likely to think we’re overweight) so why does the NHS give the impression that weight loss is a woman’s problem?

We’re often told that men have poorer health than women on average because we are reluctant to get help. As a man the message I receive over and over again is if only I stopped being such a typical man and got some help then my problems would be solved.

As a champion for better healthcare for men I frequently say the reason more men die younger is that we put less time, money and energy into keeping men healthy.


One of the first actions I took to get help to lose weight was go on the NHS choices website and calculate my BMI. I was told I was overweight and then pointed to 6 separate bits of advice.

These included a 12 week weight loss guide with a case study from Stephanie; a story about Laura’s experience of losing weight on the plan; a video about how Elinor went to her GP to get help. I then headed for the getting started on the NHS weight loss plan page where there are two separate pictures of women swimming.

The marketing message from the NHS is loud and clear, we help women lose weight and all over the country (surprise, surprise) more women than men get help from NHS to lose weight. 

DAY TWO NOTES

WEIGHT: 14 stone 9lb (healthy range 9 stone 7lb to 12 stone 12lb

WAIST: 37-39 inches/94-99 cms (depends if I'm breathing in or out) 

BMI: 28.5 (healthy range 18.5 to 25)

ACTION: Ran and walked about five miles; made water my main drink, cut out snacks (apart from fruit), eating mindfully 


No comments:

Post a Comment